Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI)
POPI, the Protection of Personal Information Act, is South African legislation designed to protect any personal information which is processed by both private and public bodies (including government). Some exceptions exist, but every person who collects, stores and otherwise modifies or uses information (i.e. processes information) is responsible under POPI and must comply with the conditions required for the lawful processing of personal information.
South Africa’s Information Regulator has released draft regulations, and these are currently being finalised. This act has not yet been promulgated and a commencement date has not yet been established. We are in the process of ensuring all our policies and procedures will comply with POPI, once promulgated.
Your privacy is important to us. We strive to ensure your experience with our company is one that you will want to repeat and share with your friends. Part of our commitment to you is to respect and protect the privacy of the personal information you provide to us. The information below is designed to inform you of what information we collect, why we collect such information, and how we use the information we collect. Any reference to our “Site” includes our Bresco Diamonds website, mobile applications and other software, and any reference to our “Services” includes our Site, customer service phone line and other shopping or product services offered by ourselves.
At various times, you may decide to provide us with your personal information. You should know that we receive and may store all personal information (whether written or oral) that you provide to us. This includes personal information provided to us through any means, including, without limitation, through our Site, via e-mail, over the telephone, and through a social media service (for example Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest). You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to purchase products or take advantage of many of our promotions or services. In this policy, “personal information” means any information by which you may be identified or contacted, including, but not limited to, a first and last name, phone number, physical address or email address. In addition, we may collect information about your purchases, billing address, shipping address, gender, occupation, birthday, marital status, anniversary, interests, and credit card information.
Information We Collect Through Cookies
A cookie is a small file that resides on your computer, mobile phone, or other device, and allows us or our business partners to recognize your device when you return to our service and record information about your usage of our services.
- Essential Operational: Cookies are necessary to allow us to operate our services. For example, they are required to help you access secure areas (such as your account pages) and to use features like our shopping basket.
- Performance and Functionality: Cookies help us enhance the performance and functionality of our services. For example, cookies help us identify you or your device when you come back to our service so that you do not have to login to see your shopping basket.
- Analytics and Customization: We use analytics and customization cookies, including third party cookies, to gather information on how our services are being used by our visitors and to measure how popular our marketing campaigns are. We use the data we get to help customize our services for you and make the content you see as relevant as possible. We also use the date we collect to help identify and prevent fraud, and to track visits from our affiliates or partners.
- Social networking cookies: Cookies allow visitors to share our pages and content through third-party social networking websites.
Use of your personal information
We may use the information we collect about you to:
- Facilitate your purchases and provide the services you request,
- Confirm and track your order,
- Respond to your comments, inquiries and requests,
- Compare and review your information for errors, omissions and accuracy,
- Prevent and detect fraud or abuse,
- Provide and improve our services, product offerings, and overall customer experience,
- Identify your product and service preferences,
- Understand our customer demographics, preferences, interests, and behaviour,
- Administer and fulfill our promotions, and
- Other uses with your consent.
We utilize a combination of physical and electronic security technologies, procedures, and organizational measures to help protect your personally identifiable information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. While we strive to safeguard your personal information, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to us.
Accessing and Updating Your Information
If you have created an account, you can review and change certain personal information relating to your account at any time by logging on to your account. Otherwise, to learn more, please contact us via telephone or e-mail.